Saturday, April 5, 2008

THE ROUTE

Thanks to Steve for re-plotting all the paths we drove upon during the road trip. He was an excellent co-pilot.

3/29/08
NYC/LGA /St. Lucie, Fla. to Charleston, S.C.

I-95 north & Delta/Comair south to Jacksonville International Airport (Jax)
-Jax, Fla. -I-95 North (lots of traffic)
–To: The Georgia Pig- Georgia Route 17.
-After a fine meal, (Ga.) Route 17 north over nice bridge through Brunswick, Riceboro, and back on I-95 in Richmond Hill, Ga.
-I-95 north through Savannah, into South Carolina, where the highway narrows to two lanes, causing traffic.
-Back on (S.C.) Route 17 in Hardeeville, S.C. to avoid traffic. Through Switzerland, S.C. back to I-95 around Ridgeland, S.C.
-Back on Route (S.C.) Route 17 at S.C. exit 33.
-S.C. Route 17 to MARRIOT Charleston.

3/30/08
Charleston, S.C.-Columbia, S.C.-Spartanburg, S.C.

-S.C.Route 17 over bridge to naval museum.
-S.C. Route 17 from naval museum to I-26 west/north to S.C. Route 52.north.
-S.C. Route 52 to S.C. 176 north.
-S.C. Route 176 over to the other side of the railroad tracks and through Holly Hill, (the railroad tracks are on the map) to Columbia S.C. and the sudden appearance of MAURICE'S (the 3rd!). Ribs.
-Back on the road: Through Columbia, S.C. on to I-26 west/north, over the broad river. Nice highway, long hills and a steady climb toward SPARTANBURG, S.C., and the search for beer. No beer, but the MARRIOTT we spotted earlier suddenly appears.

3/31/08
Spartanburg, S.C.-Asheville, N.C.-Chattanooga, TN.

-Back on I-26, into North Carolina, through historic Newberry to I-240, over the French Broad River into ASHEVILLE, N.C.
-Back on I-240 via a steep hill, which circles ASHEVILLE, N.C., to Tunnel Road and the FIDDLIN’ PIG.
-After another fine meal its back on I-240 to the BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY.
-BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY to N.C. Route 23/74 west, to N.C. Route 441 North, past a large concentration of moccasin stores, through the GREAT SMOKEY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK, into the home of the South’s never ending carnival at GATLINBURG, TENNESSEE.
-Continuing on TN. Route 441, through the town of Pigeon Forge and onto TN. Route 73/321 West toward Maryville, TN, in the vicinity of which a map was purchased, and a soda was left on the car, and continuing through the lovely hamlet of LENOIR CITY, and onto to Route 75 South to I-124 into CHATTANOOGA, TN. The new map was a little outdated. After a tour of the nicer parts of town the MARRIOT appeared adjacent to the convention center.

04/01/08
Chattanooga, TN. To Atlanta, Ga.

-Back to I-75 South toward ATLANTA, GA.
-After managing to follow I-75 to an exit into the downtown area, all was lost after a wrong choice at a split in the road and it was back onto an unknown highway, heading in an unknown direction, toward n unknown place.
-We got off at the first exit, and decided, after some hesitation, to turn right to get to Piedmont. After about 10 seconds FAT MATTS magically appeared in front of us.-
After another fine meal, we follow Piedmont into the downtown area, and after pulling into the wrong Marriott, and receiving directions which did not make sense, we found the proper MARRIOT.

04/02/08
Atlanta, Ga. –Macon, Ga. - Savannah, Ga.

-I-75 south to MACON and SATTERFIELD'S.
-After a fine meal with the lunch crowd, and a few wrong turns in Macon, we take GA. Route 80 to Dublin, Ga. From Dublin we take GA Route 29 to I-16 East to Savannah. Along the Georgia State Roads are three Bar B Q joints, including Bubba’s.
-I-16 to its end at the MARRIOTT COURTYARD SAVANNAH.

04/03/08
Savannah Ga.-Port St. Lucie, Fla./ LGA/NYC

-I-16 west I-95 North to Savannah International Airport (SAV)
-SAV north to LGA/SAV to I-95 South to St. Lucie FLA.

No comments: