Sunday, March 30, 2008

Kiss My Grits!


Our day started off in a delicious way. We went to the Hominy Grill in downtown Charleston. Steve and I are familiar with polenta, but he was unsure which utensil one should use to eat grits. Luckily, three nice ladies were sitting at the table next to us. We shared a laugh at being seated immediately after them since we had just been sharing the cold, brisk weather while waiting outside. It was about 50 degrees. The nice women informed Steve that the fork, not the straw, was the proper way to eat grits, after adding some butter, salt and pepper, of course. I ordered the shrimp sautéed with scallions, mushrooms, and bacon over cheese grits. I never had a breakfast like it before, but I know I will again. I purchased a Hominy Grill T-Shirt as a declaration of my new found loyalty.




Striking up a conversation with fellow patrons of a superb and traditional Southern restaurant turned out to be a great help. We mentioned our road trip and destinations and we received excellent advice, including the suggestions of Maurice’s BBQ in Columbia and to tour North Carolina on the Blue Ridge Parkway. More on Maurice’s in a later post.

No comments: